Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hot New Trend

Mini Caramel Apples must be the hot new trend in desserts. I saw a posting for them on Party Perfect (an entertaining blog) and my mom couldn't wait to tell me about the ones she tried this weekend while antiquing in NE. These seem easy enough so I think we should give them a try for the NE reception. In my research I discovered that the trend started with Cat Cora on Iron Chef America.

Photo Tutorial via flickr.


The following is the recipie from Family Fun.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

4-inch lollipop sticks
Melon baller
Granny Smith apples (one apple makes about 8 mini apples)
Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
Chopped nuts, nonpareils, sprinkles, shredded coconut (optional)
Small paper candy cups
Step 1 - Mini Caramel Apples 1. First, cut the lollipop sticks in half at an angle (the pointy end will go into the apple pieces easier). With the melon baller, scoop little balls out of the apple. Each ball should have a section of apple peel. Push half of a lollipop stick into the peel of each ball. Pat the apple pieces dry.




Mini Caramel Apples: Variations 2. Melt the chips according to the package directions. Dip and swirl the mini apples in the melted chips, then roll the apples in nuts, sprinkles, nonpareils, or coconut, if desired. Place the mini apples in paper candy cups to set.


It is interesting that the recipe calls for butterscotch or peanut butter chips. I wonder if these stick to the apple better than caramel. Another recipe I found said to roll the apple in flour to make the melted caramel stick better. Many people complain that the caramel just slides right off the juicy apple. But I say go for milk chocolate chips.

No comments: