Thursday, April 2, 2009

Something Blue...

My shoes are my something blue.


A great shade of dark turquoise or teal or peacock. Or you can just call them blue. A simple ballet-esque flat shoe.

It took me FOREVER to find the right shoes to wear. The dress was also an ordeal but the shoes were a nightmare. I am not necessarily 100% in love with them but I swear I looked everywhere and although going barefoot was appealing I needed to do something.

I ended up getting them at David's Bridal. First off let me say that I despise this store. It is sort of like Walmart. You may hate what they stand for but since they have managed to take over every corner of the globe you can't help but find yourself inside thinking your getting a great deal at the expense of customer service. After ordering nearly a half dozen pairs of shoes on-line, looking in every store in town, and hours surfing the web I found myself heading inside to the big DB.

I had heard of several horror stories from fellow blogging brides about DB and I myself had 2 less than polite encounters when trying to find a dress. But I went in anyway. And low and behold I found a pair - the right price, comfy fit, and really cheap dying price ($3). So I ordered a pair and waited 4 weeks (!!!) to pick them up after they were dyed.

I really didn't want to go the dyeable route but I was set on this color and had no luck elsewhere. After I picked them up I REALLY wish I hadn't gone the dyeable route. I stood there in disbelief over how sloppy they were. Not only was there all sorts of dye on the bottom sole but there were at least 5 spots where the origional satin was visible. Because of all of the slop over on the sole the seam between the sole and the shoe had a striped appearance. I asked to see a manager and explained that I at least wanted the white satin covered up and the mess on the sole should be an even mess if the slopover with the dye was unavoidable. She sent them back to the "dye girl" (her words, not mine) immediately. They came out in about 10 minutes and she said they should dry and blend.


Anyway I am sure no one is still reading but I let them dry for a few days and they looked like they had water marks on the bottom and were absolutely horrible. I called DB prepared to be stern to demand that they redye a new pair right this time. I was sort of freaking out because the wedding was just 11 days away at this point and barefoot seemed like it was no longer a choice. But the phone call was very easy and the manager remembered my issue and said they would dye a new pair and have them ready for me the next day. Good. I was very relieved and despite having to wait 20 minutes for the sales girl to find them, they were ready the next day.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend going with dyeable shoes, but if you have your heart set on a specific color it opens up alot more styles. DB is much cheaper than getting a custom color dye. My seamstresses salon charges $30 for a custom color match. So maybe I got what I paid for. Despite generally rude experiences with salespeople and the sloppy "dye girl" I don't think DB is as bad as the corporate wedding evil giant I originally thought. The manager was very helpful and willing to make things right with very little effort. Any hey, sometimes going to the corporate giant makes shopping a little easier or at least they have some selection.

Did anyone else have a difficult time with their wedding day attire? Either with finding it or getting it right?

10 comments:

honey my heart said...

cute shoes!! they're such a good color.

Jessica @ Mason Jar Bride said...

LOVE them. absolutely darling :)

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

Love the shoes too! I have NO CLUE what I am going to wear yet... I am having a green shoe dilemma and don't think I want to go the 'dye' route

My Dream Ring said...

LOVE the color~ They are very cute!

Ellen Mint said...

Ugh that sounds like one hell of an ordeal. I am surprised at how little blue shoes really are out there. You either have navy which looks more like black or a baby blue. But a nice bright color you are SOL.

Just be careful with the dyed shoes there's a very good chance it'll run in any slight hint of moisture. Maybe if you sealed it with something like clear nail polish.

melissa said...

I am a little worried about them running if they get wet. Especially since I have to walk on stepping stones across a stream for our ceremony. But I should be able to walk only on dry surfaces, unless I fall in or something.

I will likely write a review of my dyeables after it is all over. I have some "experiments" planned as well.

Anonymous said...

can you spray them with the stuff we used for camping ...the water proof spray, you can buy it anywhere, even the grocery store

Cyd said...

All is well that ends well as they say...and these are adorable! I love the color and I'm glad it worked out for you!

Juliana Novic said...

I'm happy you were able to get the color shoes you wanted.

Cheap Wife said...

I love that color!!