Friday, February 6, 2009

DIY Project: Paper Flowers

For our Mexican themed Fiesta reception, I wanted to create several arrangements of paper flowers. Paper flowers are a big part of Mexican decor and are a great budget friendly way to add color and a handmade touch. Paper flowers were also an interactive element of our Save the Date announcements. I am going to ask a couple of people to bring their paper flowers to the Fiesta so that I can scrapbook them with their guest book advice entries. What do you think - a good idea or would it seem tacky?


Here are some simple instructions for DIY paper flowers:

Step 1: Cut squares of tissue. For smaller flowers I used 4 x 4 inch squares and 4-5 sheets per flower. For larger I used as large as 8 x 8 squares and 6 sheets. The more sheets, the fuller the flower but the harder it will be to separate the petals. For some of my flowers I added a smaller piece of tissue in an alternative color to create different flower centers.

Step 2: Stack sheets and fold like an accordion fan. 1" folds works well. Smaller flowers, use smaller folds.Step 3: Cut the edges of the fan for your desired flower shape. I used a couple different shapes to add different textures to my arrangement such as rounded (pictured), V-shape, and a deep V-shape.

Step 4: Secure the center of the folded fan. I used floral wire cut to 8 inches to create the "stem" of the flower.

Step 5: Fan out the fold on each side of the secured center. You will want to pull apart the folds down to the base of the flower. The better you separate the folds at this step the fuller and rounder the final flower.

Step 6: Pull the petals apart towards the center. Separating one layer at a time.

Step 7: "Fluff" and reshape petals to the desired look. The tissue is incredibly moldable so don't be afraid to pull and place where you want it. Sometimes I found that the two sides of the flowers were separated. To fix it I used a double sided piece of tap at the flower base to secure the two sides together.

Step 8: Arrange flowers. This is no different than arranging real flowers. I did use more double sided tape at the flower bases to get them to stick together. In some places of the arrangement you could see the stems and hiding pieces of tape gave the arrangement a fuller look with no holes.

I made 4 different arrangements to go on our Sweet Treats table. In keeping with my goals to reduce, reuse, and recycle the wedding decor, I used turquoise and purple drinking glasses as the vases that I will later reuse in the kitchen.

I must give a plug to an inexpensive paper flower kit from Martha Stewart Crafts. I learned a few other flower shapes from this kit that I won't explain here. She has a couple of ideas for other more complicated flower shapes. I don't know if my patience was wearing thin or if I am not ready to graduate to complex crafts, but mine didn't look as good so I stuck to the versions above.

12 comments:

Jess @ Living On Sweet Tea said...

We're having a fiesta themed rehearsal and I love these!

Jenny said...

These are absolutely adorable! I'm going to have to practice! What a nice, simple, and cheap little touch.

Thank you so much!!!

honey my heart said...

soo cute! i love your colors.

Jane said...

Those do look easy to make! Plus they look fantastic!! I love the Fiesta theme.

Anonymous said...

These are always a fun idea for any celebration! I made some for my friend's bachelorette party. Cute and inexpensive.

Jessica Horton said...

OH OH OH.... just catching up on reading your shoe saga.... I hear ya girl!

I wanted to let you know that my local TJMAXX got in some jcrew teal flats!! I think they are $30? Anyways... if you are interested let me know!

I have a pic on my phone, but I'm not sure how to send it :-(

I think they were these, but they were teal.

http://tinyurl.com/bno7h2

Jessica Horton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Horton said...

GRRRR ok, tried to send the picture, but it's not working.... if you leave your email, I'll send the picture!

Nicole-Lynn said...

I love that idea. I think if you want, ask those close to you to bring their flowers... I don't see that as being tacky. The flowers look lovely! I'm planning on having a mexican themed engagement party...so fun.

Anonymous said...

I love that there are different flower

Wedding Corner said...

I like the idea!!
If it is part of the theme, I don't see why would it be tacky to ask your the guest to bring their paper flowers. They might have some fun doing their own flowers and feel more involved with the whole celebration.
~Lilian~

Anonymous said...

so i totally took inspiration from your fiesta themed event... and used it for a bachelorette party I helped throw. we had three parts to the weekend, and one was called, " There's still time to run off to Tijuana." :)

But, my tissue paper flowers were horrible. Muy horrible.